Who is this Francis of Assisi and what is so special about this man?
I personally went to Assisi few years back during a trip to Italy and came to know much more about this man who later became known as Francis of Assisi.
Son of a wealthy merchant, this man wanted to be a knight. He was wounded when he served as a soldier and he heard God telling him to re-build his church which was becoming very materialistic. He was so convicted by the gospel and good news of Jesus that he left everything and lived in poverty. He began preaching on the streets and tend to the lepers who were shunned by society. Many soon followed him.
Till today, people from all over the world visited Assisi and is still touched by his life story. A life of actions and not by mere words. A life to serve the people and not to serve himself.
This is one of his famous prayers that I feel compelled to share.
- Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
- Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
- Where there is injury, pardon;
- Where there is doubt, faith;
- Where there is despair, hope;
- Where there is darkness, light;
- Where there is sadness, joy.
- O Divine Master,
- grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love.
- For it is in giving that we receive.
- It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
How beautiful it is..the seeds of love, faith and etc that he hoped to sow in a world full of darkness and misery. Let us bid to do the same.
Let us also pray for our shepherds who will be leading us to God. The bigger the church, the greater their responsibility. No matter what church you belong to, your shepherds need your prayers. Let us never cease praying for them. Let us pray that the prayer above be their prayers too.
Francis of Assisi seek to re-build the church; may the new pope also seek to do the same.