Monday, October 11, 2010

Grandpa dear

Yesterday, I have the most amazing time with this man I call Grandpa.
Well, he's not exactly my grandfather but because he is such a loving old man who has been so dear to my family, I call him Grandpa. There are probably hundreds of kids calling him Grandpa too.

This man is one of the early missionaries who came to Sarawak to evangelize, build churches and schools and seminaries to preach the good news to a nation who did not know God exist. It is amazing that now, there are christians everywhere in Sarawak and lots of believers and unbelievers alike who had benefited from the mission schools that was built. I am definitely one of them :).

Yesterday, I came to know a little of the first missionaries who came to Sarawak. Those before him, in the 1880s. These priests and missionaries who came knew nothing of Sarawak, the Land of the Headhunters as we still call it today. It was a totally primitive land, with no proper buildings or facilities known to the comforts of those in Europe.

Still, these men came to bring light to this side of Asia. A lot of them died within 7 years due to malaria and hundreds of diseases and possibly because their immune system were not accustomed to those of the natives back then. Some died within a year or so. I am amazed at these men who came and sacrificed their lives for us. Without them, I would not have known the Lord. I would not even be going to school and English would have been an alien to me.

I pay tribute to them today. I thank God for sending them.

Indeed, they have lived up to Jesus's commission to his apostles,"All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go, therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of age". (Matt 28:18-20).

No comments:

Post a Comment